Friday, June 11

It’s Just 8 Songs


There’s a reason I never did interval training before. I don’t like running or sweating. The only thing that appeals to me about the cardio workout is its short duration—only thirty minutes.  So I go to the gym, and I run, staring at the clock as it counts down until the torture stops. Thirty minutes to go, twenty-nine, twenty-eight...

I’ve realized this obsession with the clock does not, in fact, make the time go faster. I’m convinced it actually triggers some kind of Lost phenomenon. There’s a large flash of light, I’m transported to an alternate timeline, and the clock displays—thirty minutes to go. Arrrrgggg.


Yesterday, I decided to try a new approach. Instead of the clock, I focused on the music on my ipod. With my head bent down I started running. I sang along (silently, of course) and only when I completed four songs did I allow myself to look up. And guess what? I was already halfway done.

After six songs the end of my program was on the digital display. I love it when I see those short steady interval lines. It means the cool down is coming. The end is nigh. That’s always a happy sight.

My run was over in eight songs. That’s all it took. I can do anything for eight songs and so can you.

Are you in to Polka music? Country-western? Bluegrass? Classic rock? Do you secretly love Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus but you’re in your 40s?

Whatever your musical passions, download eight songs and get moving. It doesn’t matter what you listen to as long as it has a fast beat. Trust me, Silent Night or My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion will not inspire you to move quickly.

If you need a starter playlist, here’s mine. It’s a mix of country, disco, pop and hip hop. My musical taste is pretty varied, but the one thing all these songs have in common is they make me want to move.

Red High Heels by Kellie Pickler (Angry single girl kicking her loser boyfriend to the curb. What’s not to love?)

Stronger by Kanye West (With a chorus that chants, “N-n-now that that don’t kill me/Can only make me stronger,” it’s become my workout anthem. If you download it, get the clean version. Kanye has a bit of a potty mouth.)

Evacuate the Dancefloor by Cascada (This is guaranteed to channel your inner club diva.)

Somebody Told Me by The Killers (Crank this one up and go for the burn. It’ll keep you moving until the very end.)

You Should Be Dancing by the Bee Gees (Go on, don’t be shy, break out your inner Travolta. Just be careful you don’t hit the kill switch on the treadmill.)

Sexy Chick by David Guetta featuring Akon (Here are my favorite lyrics: “The way that booty movin' I can't take no more / I'm tryna find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful.” I’m hoping this becomes my theme song after the eight weeks.)

Let It Rock by Kevin Rudolf (I have no idea what this song is about, but it’s got a great beat. Just get the clean version. Lil Wayne sings a verse and he’s as bad as Kanye with the potty mouth.)

Living La Vita Loca by Ricky Martin (Go on, get your salsa on.)

And you’re done.

See how easy that was.






No comments:

Post a Comment