Wednesday, June 16

The Eye of the Tiger

I can’t believe it, but I’m beginning to like cardio interval training. Mostly because I can now do it without collapsing. I’ve even increased the speed of the treadmill and managed to stay on the thing. Sweating doesn’t bother me anymore either. In fact, it reminds me that I’m working at the right intensity.

The other day a light rain was falling as I left the gym. I relished the cool drizzle on my hot skin. Tilting my head up toward the sky I stopped for a moment to feel the rain. In my mind’s eye, it would’ve been the perfect scene for the movie Rocky. And lately, I definitely feel like I have a bit of the eye of the tiger. With my eight favorite songs loaded on my ipod and Marq’s words echoing in my brain, “You’re doing awesome Dianna,” I push myself to run faster, to work harder. And the cool thing is, the training is working. I can accomplish physical tasks I previously thought I couldn’t.


For instance, I carried Janelle, my first-grader, up the stairs the other night. She weighs about 60 pounds. After falling asleep on the couch, I gently shook her and said, “Wake up honey. It’s time for bed. You need to go upstairs.”

“Can’t you get Daddy to carry me?” she asked. “I’m so tired.”

Hesitating for a second, I finally said, “Why don’t you hop up on me? I’ll give it a try.”

Encircling my waist with her legs, her arms dangling around my neck, and her head resting on my shoulder, I marched from the family room toward the stairs. Steadily I climbed, my legs strong and unwavering. I made it to the top with ease before setting her down in her room to change into her fairy princess pajamas.

Holy cow, I thought. Who needs a man? I am woman hear me roar!

Next thing you know I’ll be able to change a tire, install a flat screen TV, and parallel park. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

  1. It's about time! While you're at it, how about home repairs? You could do that, too. Who needs a man to do it? I bet you'd do it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet she can capably do all those repairs already - runs in the family, you know.

    ReplyDelete